Monday, July 28, 2008

Shheeeep!!!



As I mentioned in an earlier post, I like beer and one of my favorites is one that my FIL introduced me to. It's called Black Sheep Ale and is from the Black Sheep Brewery in Masham in North Yorkshire in the UK.

Described by the brewery as follows:

Full flavoured premium bitter, with a rich fruity aroma. It is brewed with many generous handfuls of choice Golding hops giving a bittersweet malty taste, followed by Black Sheep' characteristic long, dry and bitter finish.
Good stuff.

Really.


I also like their Riggwelter ale, too. Riggwelter is a nicely flavored ale but is fairly strong at 5.7% ABV. According to the bottle, a sheep that is 'rigged' or 'riggwelted' is on it's back and cannot get up. Entirely appropriate for a bottle of this stuff.


The Holy (Gr)ail is an offering which commerorates Monty Python's 30'th anniversary. It's a light ale and probably not one of my favorites, but still good for what it is.

The last two ales I haven't had an opportunity to try and will probably have to wait until my next trip to the UK. Actually, I take that back. I think I've had the Golden Fleece, but can't recall it. (No, I didn't have too much to drink at the time, but it has been quite some time since I had it...)


The last ale is a "Yorkshire Square " ale. Basically it is an ale that is made in slate 'squares' very much like Sam Smith's Ales which are also brewed in Yorkshire. A very traditional method. I suppose if they brew this ale the way they brew the Sam Smith's, it would be one of my favorites!

No comments: