Monday, July 7, 2008

On Passion

Passion takes many forms. The forms of that I usually think of is romantic passion, passion for profession, passion for your hobbies or your art and passion for life in general.

On Rush's album "Hold Your Fire", they sing a song titled "Mission" about those people who don't have the passion, drive or talent to create wonderful art in it's many forms. It is both hard and sad for me to realize that for some people, their existance is little more than getting up, going to work, heading home to dinner and television and then getting up to do the same thing the next day.

I've spent the past two weeks in a wonderful and magical place in Brooklin, Maine called the WoodenBoat School teaching people to build cedar-strip canoes. The people who both work here all seem to have passion for their work, their art, the craft of sail and the building and repair of wooden boats. They instill in those students who come here that same passion and a sense of wonder and amazement at what is possible. I can't count how many times this week that I've seen both students and staff members light up with that "ah ha!" moment in their eyes. I've known for a long time that I have a passion for small wooden boats but hadn't realized its true depth until I got here. I feel a desire to do more and better work as both a teacher and boat-builder to be able to help others to experience the joys and passion that I have by sharing.

So, as I get ready to return home, I find myself physically tired, but with a renewed drive, determination and focus to do wonderful things.

"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death" - Auntie Mame

No comments: