Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pay it forward


With yesterday's post, I'm kinda working on a personal theme of late. I've been trying my best to do something every day to help someone else out. Not necessarily big things, but those day-to-day kindnesses and things that help make other people's life a bit easier. It's really not hard to get motivated - just think of all those little things that someone else has done for you or given to you when you least expected it, but needed it most.

Sometimes, my boat building students benefit with a little extra time or some spare stock that I have lying around for clamp blocks.

Lately, I've been helping out my neighbors. On one side of me is a fellow who is recovering from some surgery and I've been helping to keep his driveway and sidewalk clear. For the last two weekends, I've cleared ice. (Last weekend, DW, DS and DD also helped - a good lesson for the little ones.) Our neighbor on the other side is caring for her FIL and I worry about him - he's had a trip or two to the hospital and I always like to know that the driveway over there is clear just in case it is necessary.

It's not hard, and it doesn't take money. Believe me - you'll feel better for doing it.

No comments: