Monday, September 22, 2008

A new challenge...


Tonight was the sign-up for a new session of my Wee Lassie canoe building class. It's not usually a dull time. I've been put in with three other instructors who teach what are primarily furniture-making classes - by far, a more popular set of classes. When the doors open, it must have been what nylon stocking sales must have been like at Macy's in the 40's.

It's a bit zooey, to be honest.

Three of my students are new. New students are always an unknown quantity - one of them I know but his experience is as a professional cabinetmaker - he should bring some interesting things and interesting questions to the class. Three of the students have taken the class before. Two of them missed a lot of classes and need to complete their boats. I know them fairly well and know how to help them best. The last is the builder of the Blue Streak. I've posted some of his work here before (A little bit over the top). His work is good and fairly meticulous. His comment to me tonight? "Now I've got to think up a better feature strip."

Apparently he's thrown down the gauntlet for himself.

No guts, no glory, no brains, no problem and no excuses.

This is going to be interesting.

No comments: