Friday, September 19, 2008

Final Saturday

The last day of class was a bit of a blur. We fitted the scupper blocks, inwales, thwarts and outwales on the three canoes in one morning. To say that we were all elated to get the canoes finished would be an understatement. The end results were very good.

The canoe in the foreground is the Wee Lasse II and the two in the back are both Wee Lassies. I don't know if you can see in the picture, but the deck shapes, accent stripes and deck stripes on each canoe are unique. By the time the picture was taken, we were just beginning to realize how sunburnt we all were. We'd been working outside all morning and hadn't put on any sunscreen.

OOPS!

When we got done, and got the canoes loaded on the cars, I had my first opportunity to get out on the water - I took the school's Charlotte out for a paddle on Blue Hill Bay. As you can see from the picture, the day's weather was gorgeous. I got in maybe an hour and a half paddle. It was wonderful.

I had a quick errand that took me into Blue Hill and I stopped for a few pictures near Blue Hill Falls (AKA the Reversing Falls) which were on my way there. The falls are the exit of a salt water pond. As the tide rises and falls, the water entering and exiting the pond produces a pretty impressive flow.


Nearby there were some very picturesque sights - I'll post them later for Wordless Wednesdays. I felt that each of the shots was worthy of it's own posting.

That night, I was taken to dinner at the Brooklin Inn by two of my students who were still at the school on Saturday evening. A wonderful time was had by all!

No comments: