Friday, November 12, 2010

Over my shoulder...


As I was having lunch today, I was reflecting on the router table that I designed to mold the cove and bead features on the strips we use to build canoes. It struck me that it is about time to get serious about designing an improved version.

I've also got some improvements that I'd like to make to the strip-cutting operation and some new jigs and fixtures for other little things that we do when we build canoes.

What drives me?

Well, having students looking over your shoulder and looking for better ways of doing things certainly is one reason. People have many different experiences in life and one of the things that makes everyone's life a bit richer is to share those experiences. In the shop it takes the form of, "Well, I used to do this:", or "How come we can't try it this way?"

This is why I like to have people looking over my shoulder as I teach things. I hear the different questions and different points of view - and that is wonderful.

6 comments:

Mike said...

Not that I want you looking over your shoulder LOL LOL....but your blog profile photo of the cartoon of the canoe builder building a canoe with "reversed" ends looks interesting and humourous....but I can't see except in small format so can't see details....I'd love to share it with a canoe builder buddy of mine....BTW, tried emailing this meassage, but seems to be problem with your email address....keep getting Delivery Staus Notification of Failure to send....keep up the great work....and the rest of us bloggers looking over our shoulders LOL LOL
Paddles up until later then
Mike

Canoez said...

Really? DSN? Well, the address is c.canoez@gmail.com. Cat has used it to good effect. I'll see if I can dig up a larger version of that image. I can't claim that it is an original - I've seen several versions of it and it will take me a minute to find.

Cat Sittingstill said...

I can confirm that the e-mail addy canoez gives worked for me.

Regarding the wannigan in the Wordless Wednesday post--I'm thinking about making some file card boxes that way. Something to do with the extra strips that will help keep my husband happy with the time I spend in the boatshop, since he uses lots of file cards and is always cursing the commercial boxes :-)

Canoez said...

Spoilt man!

I'm still waiting for DW to knit me a sweater. I may be waiting for a long, long time.

:-D

Mike said...

Found problem....email address on link About Me is c.canoez@google.com....not c.canoez@gmail.com....email sent OK

Mike said...

Found problem....email address on link About Me is c.canoez@google.com....not c.canoez@gmail.com....email sent OK