Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring is coming. Really.

This weekend's weather in the 60's was just a teaser to those of us in New England, but it was still a nice treat. One of the other treats that came this weekend were the Red Winged Blackbirds who had just returned for the year. We've got a wetland behind our house and it's on the migratory path for lots of birds, but the return of the Red Winged Blackbirds are a special treat because they let me know that it's almost paddling time. I say that because I like to paddle in some small backwaters loaded with these birds and their trilling call always seems to accompany a nice paddle.




Ironically, when I woke up this morning, my clock-radio was playing a piece on NPR by a local naturalist about these birds. I learned a few new things about them. First, they are among the first migratory birds to return to our area in the spring. Second, their call varies by locale - they seem to have regional "dialects".

The rude awakening came when I got out of bed and looked out the window and saw large wet snowflakes falling.

Spring IS coming, isn't it?

No comments: