Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cookies?

I've been waylaid by small people in yellow, brown and green now four times in the past two weeks.  I think they're called "Girl Scouts".   In our neck of the woods, it must be the time of year to sell Girl Scout cookies.   I was with DS for my first encounter of the year and purchased a box of Tagalongs from a group of Scouts at a market where we'd stopped to pick up ketchup.  We were on our way to a Boy Scout winter camping event where a few extra calories are required, so I picked up the box to share with the participants there.


The next time I was waylaid I was with DS again.  We were headed for our local supermarket and DS recognized the Girl Scouts who were selling from school.  We had to buy some.  DS wouldn't let me pass without buying some.  We picked up two boxes of Thin Mints, a box of Samoas and a box of Savannah Smiles.  At this point, I realized that I hadn't co-ordinated cookie purchases with my DW and didn't know if we were going to be swimming in cookies.


Usually we knew exactly how many boxes we'd have because DD would be our "connection".  She was our supplier for several years, but unfortunately, here troop disbanded.


We figured that we'd have to find some way of dealing with cookie withdrawl, as we weren't sure where we'd be finding them this year.


But truly, we shouldn't have been worried.  It's hard to avoid the cookies when the selling starts.


DS was with me the third and fourth time that we passed Scouts selling cookies at our local supermarket.  While they were not people he recognized, he dipped into his meager funds to donate money to each group, even though he wasn't buying (and couldn't afford) cookies.  I was proud of his generosity.

What's really amazing is to realize what a huge business cookie selling is for the Girl Scouts.  Did you realize that there is even an app for that?

No comments: