Thursday, August 7, 2008

It was an Ark and stormy night...


It is yet another day of rain.

It seems like it has been raining non-stop for the past two weeks. This is an exaggeration, but not by much. It's been raining so much lately, and in such biblical proportions, that I've been thinking of going into cedar-strip arks.

We went on a family camping trip to Vermont last weekend and it rained a fair portion of the weekend. At one point, the skies literally opened up on us as we were walking on a trail in the woods and we got drenched. It rained so hard that the mud was splashing up on us from the trail. I was muddy almost mid-way to my knees. When we went into the woods, it had been sunny, but we couldn't see the changing weather through the thick tree canopy in the ravine we were hiking in. Because the weather had looked so promising, we had (foolishly) left our rain gear in the car.

Since we've returned, the rain around here has been extreme. A nearby town saw 5" of rain in about 70 minutes. Flooding in the area has been severe. The number of downed trees, limbs and electric lines has been particularly impressive. For no apparent reason (other than rain) the power went off last night for about 20 minutes.

I'm thinking that pretty soon I'll need some short term evolutionary changes to deal with this weather. Flippers, gills or webbed toes come to mind.

Please, please - a little sun to get rid of the moss that's growing on me!

I suppose the only thing about it that gives me some comfort is the fact that I know that I'll have something to paddle on when it finally stops!

No comments: