Sunday, January 25, 2009

But it's for my health!

DW is a wine drinker.

No doubt about it. She does like the occasional glass of white, but for the most part it tends to be a firm fan of red. A glass a night seems to be about typical. She doesn't over-do it, but tends to have one on a regular basis. While I enjoy a glass from time-to-time - maybe twice a week - I usually prefer an ale over a glass of wine. I'm not a slave to any particular brand, and like to have some variety. I do tend towards the darker ales which tend to be higher in anti-oxidants.

Favorites tend to be Merlot, Shiraz, and Cabernet/Merlot and Cabernet Shiraz blends. A little Burgandy is occasionally enjoyed as is a little Cabernet straight-up and the odd bottle of Pinot Noir. To be honest, we don't tend to be wine "snobs". We usually drink wine that is less than $10/bottle and enjoy it a great deal. Still, we do find a few bottles or brands that we don't like and tend to weed them out.

For sheer drinkability she goes for an organic red from a New York winery called "Love My Goat Red". Okayyy....

Along with a regular dose of very dark chocolate (60% is considered "light"), the use of olive oil for most of our cooking, the addition of garlic, and other green veggies, and a trend away from red meat, the wine is part of a regimen for better heart health around here. For the most part, it seems to be working for her. Her doctor tells her it has a positive effect, so I can't complain in the least.

There tends to be a lot of wine related humor around here. It comes as little comments (Can I refill your vat for you?) and things that seem to be family legend (i.e. my M-I-L seems to never be photographed without a glass of wine in hand...) For her birthday last year, we had a wine theme. We were planning some camping trips around DW's birthday, so I got a set of unbreakable Lexan wine glasses. On one of the camping trips (which was very close to her birthday) we went to the tasting room for a local winery for a tasting and found some nice, but slow-flowing stoppers and a few nice bottles of wine. When were recently visiting family and went to Annapolis with DS and DD for a walk around town. The place is full of shi-shi little shops with interesting things. When I found the dishtowel and the napkins, I couldn't resist!


No comments: