Thursday, October 4, 2012

Ok, I changed my mind. Shocking.

 
I was going to post a wise as... er...  smart a...  *AHEM!*  snide comment about yesterday's Wordless Wednesday post.  Basically, the comment was something along the lines of, "That sculpture was the best use for those boats".

What do I mean?

Well, I'm talking about plastic-fantastic, poly, tupper-yaks, f@#!g!@$$, beer-can boats and all of the other derogatory comments made about plastic, fiberglass and aluminum boats.  The truth of the matter is that not everyone can afford to build or buy a nice wooden boat.  The important part is whatever boat that you enjoy, gets you out on the water safely, and brings you back home again is a good boat.  Period. 

Just so you know that I'm not a wooden boat snob, here's a little history of my boating.  The first paddle-powered boat I ever went in (as a very small passenger) was a green cedar and canvas canoe - probably an Old Town.  I learned to paddle by myself in a plastic Coleman canoe.  As a Scout, most of my canoe trips were made in a borrowed aluminum canoe.  The first boat I owned was a bright red fiberglass Allagash Nomad (with beautiful ash trim, I might add...).  The next boat was a Kevlar Wilderness Designs Boston Cruiser - a flatwater racing kayak.  The Boston Cruiser was rapidly followed up by a fiberglass Seda Swift sea kayak which I still own almost 20 years later.  In our stables we now have a tupper-yak of our own - a Crayola yellow 12' long Old Town Vapor purchased for my DW's birthday this year.  It's not my cup of tea, but it gets her out on the water and feeling comfortable - which is an accomplishment in itself.

So, while my personal preference is for a light-weight, pretty wood boat, I still wouldn't turn down a ride in almost any boat.

Get out and paddle!

No comments: