Sunday, March 29, 2009

A great little video

From Francois Rothian - an overview of a birch-bark canoe build from start to finish. In it are a few segments showing Francois using a crooked knife in the build of the boat. In function, it's sort of a cross between a spokeshave and a drawknife.

I think you may have noticed by now that this is not one of the types of canoes that I have on my build list. The primary reason is that I don't have access to the materials required to build a birch bark canoe. One of the things to always remember in building your canoe - whatever kind - is that you should always use the best materials available. To quote a computer progamming acronym GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out) Someday, if I get the opportunity to work with an expert builder of this method, I might give it a try, but I seriously doubt that I'll get that opportunity.

No comments: